926 East Fulton
Grand Rapids, MI
49506
616.218.9257
www.rebelreclaimed.com

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Great Spring recipe on a gloomy day

I was looking for a new recipe this week that would incorporate my springtime obsession for asparagus.  Aside from the fact that recently we discovered that it grills up perfectly on our Cuisinart panini maker (I mean, what can't you make on that amazing thing?) I was ready to move past asparagus as the perfect grill side partner with chicken.  Here is a recipe for asparagus pesto flatbread pizza that I found on foodnetwork.com.  It looked just like the picture when I was finished and it was even better as leftovers the next day which is always a bonus in my book.  Chip was making lots of yummy sounds too while we were eating so I think this one's a keeper.  I made a double batch which worked well considering they usually sell the flatbread crusts in packs of two.  And like I said, the leftovers. Amazing.  Try it and see what you think!

                                                       Asparagus Pesto Flatbread Pizza
                                                               (from Food Network)

1 lb grilled asparagus
1/2 c packed fresh basil + extra for garnish
2 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbsp pine nuts
3/4 c + 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 c + 4 Tbsp grated Pecorino Romano
1 lb Fontina cheese thinly sliced
1 large prepared pizza shell (I used Meijer 12x12 wheat crusts)

To make pesto:
Combine asparagus, basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse coarsely to chop.  With the motor running, slowly add the oil until emulsified.  Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.   Stir in Pecorino Romano.

Put it together:
Place crust on high heat grill and grill until slightly crisp(about 1 minute).  Remove shell and spread with pesto. Top with Fontina and return to grill.  Close and continue cooking(approx 2-3 minutes).  remove and sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese and fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment